Monday 9 May 2011

VI - Breaking the Rules; Opera Directing and Peeing on Public Footpaths

1. Don’t always follow the rules*

I recently read an article in the Telegraph arguing that directors who have a love of opera but haven’t actually trained in opera should stay away from the art form. Terry Gilliam, an opera debutant, has completely proved this statement wrong with his vastly imaginative and captivating handling of Belioz’s The Damnation of Faust, which opened on Friday night with English National Opera.*

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the first dress rehearsal by a friend. I like attending dress rehearsals because:
a) It’s almost as good as the real thing only for very cheap/free. 
b) It’s a comfort to see that even the most professional production companies still have things going wrong not long before opening night...

On this occasion, after a striking tableau of Faust (Peter Hoare) being crucified upside-down on a highly suspended Swastika (the concept was German art and history, late 1800s – mid-1900s), the audience could hear the technical staff shouting ‘HEADS! HEADS!’ behind the curtain, followed by ‘SHUSH SHUSH’ to the ensemble as they prepared for another provocative and strategically-complicated spectacle. I could only imagine poor Faust, dangling from the ceiling, blood rushing to his head whilst chorus members dashed obliviously underneath him...

The video projections, however, were faultless. Gilliam, with video designer Finn Ross, created some immense images portraying, most memorably, explosive war scenes and a motorbike ride through the forest. I am always interested to see how directors incorporate digital elements into their shows and this production reflected Gilliam’s true film and animation expertise.

GO TO SEE IT IF YOU CAN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU’RE AN OPERA VIRGIN!**

2. Find a hair stylist you can trust

Saturday night I babysat girl - 8, boy - 5 and girl - 3. They are incredibly cute but an hour and a half before bed is a lot of time to fill. Indeed, the Mum instructed me: “just help yourself to the wine in the fridge once they’re all in bed… trust me, you’ll need it!” 'Hairdressers' seemed like a great idea until I was dragged onto the tiny pink customer’s stool. See right for outcome…

Next, it was 'doctors'. As a patient, I was slighting concerned when the boy brought out his DIY toolkit to treat me. We spent the thirty minutes before bedtime drilling various limbs together. I then spent thirty minutes after bedtime rearranging my hair.

3. Music can give you energy

Update on marathon training:
- I’ve shaved two minutes off my original Otford circuit time (sure I would have made an immense PB on Saturday had the woman on the horse not yelled at me…)
- I’ve encountered two men on two separate occasions relieving themselves at the side of the track (PUBLIC footpath anyone?!)
- My witty banter to passers-by needs improvement: “Try not to melt!” is my best line so far…
- Played Flowers (Sunship Edit) - Sweet Female Attitude (what a GREAT band name) about six times on my last circuit. Top tune (although somehow the bass synthy-thing reminds me of Wonderful Christmastime…)

--------------

*Video links about this production:
ENO – Terry Gilliam talks about 'shaking your fat'
Please also find production trailer on the ENO homepage. I am interested to know how much the actual director is consulted in these opera trailers. Today, it's all part of the artistic package and I would want to be heavily involved so as to accurately represent the production.

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. There has been some blogosphere debate as to whether critics should be allowed to review preview nights but I am sure they would all agree that reviewing a first dress rehearsal would be a step too far! These are merely some comments and observations of an aspiring director. Click here for an interesting article about the role of the critic today, following a Young People in the Arts event.

2 comments:

  1. Except that Terry Gilliam has said that he doesn't have any great love of opera and has found it quite a trying experience in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but in this case he seems to love Berlioz's score: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih09aV6eISA

    ReplyDelete